The programme is designed to enhance visiting professional’s clinical expertise in cardiology and to provide a unique insight into the technology and treatment available within a leading NHS hospital.
- Direct experience and exposure to clinics and ward rounds, including electrophysiology, heart failure, inherited cardiac conditions, adult congenital heart disease and valve clinics
- Participation in multidisciplinary team meetings
- Advanced knowledge of non-invasive cardiology testing, including 3D echocardiography, cardiac MRI and CT
- Access to monthly lectures and internally organised courses
- Opportunities to receive bespoke training from our expert clinicians and to gain professional qualifications
- The opportunity to create networks and close links for future learning and development through peer mentorship from junior and senior doctors
- Access to clinical research, such as our CT research program which is one of the largest in the UK, and the chance to actively contribute
- Experience of working in a tertiary cardiac centre with advanced clinical and technical expertise among an internationally renowned faculty of experts
A Certificate of Attendance will be awarded to visitors upon the end of their programme.
The Guy’s and St Thomas’ Cardiology Department is divided into a range of cardiac services; our cardiac services are adult congenital heart disease, arrhythmia, heart failure, inherited cardiac conditions, interventional cardiology, cardiac imaging, structural intervention and valve disease. We offer specialised visiting professional programmes within all of our services for professionals that are interested in a specific area, alternatively visitors may apply to rotate throughout our cardiology department.
The cardiology programme is delivered within the hospital work place and it includes exposure to electrophysiology and heart failure clinics, inpatient ward rounds, multidisciplinary team meetings, and access to training courses depending on the length of programme that visitors request. Visiting professional will be aligned with supervisors from within the clinical teams who will ensure that all of the learning and development needs and expectations are met. The supervisors will also ensure that visiting professionals are totally integrated in the day to day service within our cardiology team, regardless of the speciality and duration that visitors apply for.
We will also provide visitors with access to a multi-tiered support structure through receiving peer mentorship from the onset of their programme.
Who can apply
The Cardiology Visiting Professional Programme is intended for non-UK trainee clinicians, specialist registrars and consultants.
We offer both observership programmes and practical programmes. Visitors that wish to apply for a practical programme must have GMC registration. GMC registration can be applied for directly through the GMC website, alternatively the Royal College of Physicians runs a medical training initiative which facilitates GMC registration and provides sponsorship for a Tier 5 visa. You can find out more about their Medical Training Initiative by visiting their website here.
We are able to offer visiting professional programmes for periods of three months up to 12 months. The duration can be tailored to the specific learning requirements of those visiting our Cardiology Department.
Cardiology department key facts
Our Cardiology Department is made up of adult congenital heart disease, arrhythmia, heart failure, inherited cardiac conditions, interventional cardiology, cardiac imaging, structural intervention and valve disease services
- Guy’s and St Thomas’ is home to the UK’s largest transcatheter structural intervention programme
- We are one of the largest heart failure services in the United Kingdom
- Our inherited cardiac conditions service is one of the largest in the UK
- We are the only cardiology service in the UK using parachute implants
- We are home to one of the largest cardiac CT units in the UK
- We performed the world’s first three transcatheter mitral valve replacements in 2014
- Heart Failure meeting
- Ward round with consultant and juniors
- Research admin
- Ward round with Professor Redwood
- Ward work
- Joint Cardiology Cardiac meeting Or Morning report 8am
- Meet Dr Ronak Rajani
- Ward round
- Ward work
- Grand round
- Heart Failure ward round
- Ward round/Specialist session
- Cardiology Teaching
- Clinic/Ward Work
- Echo meeting
- Ward round
- Heart Failure
- FY1 teaching
- FY2 teaching
- Clinic/Ward work
A course fee per week will be applied; this fee excludes accommodation and travelling expenses. To find out the fee amount please email email@example.com.
Clinicians are able to offer bursaries or discounted placements on an individual basis. This is at the discretion of the Directorates of GSTT and does not affect the terms and conditions of the Visiting Professional Programme agreements.
Dr Natali Chung
Consultant ACHD and pulmonary hypertension
Dr Catherine Head
Consultant ACHD and heart disease in pregnancy
Dr Christoph Kiesewetter
Consultant ACHD and MRI
Dr Alessandra Frigiola
Consultant ACHD and MRI
Dr Yaso Emmanuel
Consultant ACHD and MRI
Dr Ronak Rajani, consultant cardiologist, discusses the benefits of attending the Cardiology Visiting Professional Programme
The Cardiology department at Guy’s and St Thomas’ Hospital has the full spectrum of cardiac facilities for treating patients with both simple and complex cardiac conditions.
We have a world renowned leading structural heart intervention programme along with clinical electrophysiologists who are at the forefront of academic science, internationally.
Visiting Professionals who visit Guy’s and St Thomas’ Hospital will be able to witness the core values of the National Health Service.
We’re able to offer a whole spectrum of cardiovascular experiences starting from clinical skills and ranging to complex structural interventions, interventional cardiology, heart failure, inherited cardiac conditions and also complex pacemakers and devices.
Participants who visit our programme will have a bespoke programme made for them which will be tailor made to each individual who is visiting our department.
And by doing this we’re able to make sure that the learning objectives for each visiting professional will be met.
We also offer a friendly working environment with regular supervisor meetings to ensure that all of our visitors make sure that they can maximise their experience whilst with us.
Come and join us and see the NHS at work, at Guy’s and St Thomas’ Hospital.
We endeavour to offer you a fantastic experience during your time with us and hope to expose you to the whole array of different cardiac conditions and cardiac services that we’re able to offer.
Come and join us at Guy’s and St Thomas’ Hospital and witness the NHS at work, with also access to state of the art cardiac technologies in a dedicated programme made especially just for you.
The Visiting Professional Programme was very helpful for me because it provided comprehensive cardiovascular studies including rounds, clinics, interventional surgery, echo, CT, etc. The best form of these is the MDT meeting which allows multidisciplinary collaboration to carry out an in-depth discussion of difficult cases, resulting in a reasonable diagnosis and treatment planDoctor from China