Visiting Professional Programme – Critical Care
The Guy’s and St Thomas’ NHS Foundation Trust Critical Care Visiting Professional Programme (VPP) is designed to provide international visiting professionals with the opportunity to experience and learn from a multi-disciplinary Critical Care team working in a busy tertiary surgical and medical centre in London. All major surgical specialities are covered within the Trust excluding neurosurgery.
Guy’s Hospital is a major thoracic and renal transplant centre along with head and neck surgery (involving complex airway management), urology (including robotics) and orthopaedics (including major spine correction surgery).
St Thomas’ Hospital is a major elective and emergency site with an A + E and associated emergency services. A full range of emergency and elective surgery is supported including cardiac (open and cardiac catheter cases), vascular (including hybrid theatre), upper and lower surgery, obstetrics and gynaecology (7000 births a year), reconstructive plastic surgery and orthopaedic trauma. The St Thomas’ site is one of five nationally commissioned ECMO (Extracorporeal membrane oxygenation) centres, accepting referrals from across South East England and beyond.
Our Visiting Professional Programme is a unique development experience that allows visitors to observe our leading critical care team in all its settings. The attachment will be tailored to the learning needs of the observer and can be designed to deliver either a broad or highly specific set of experiences. We are dedicated to broadening international professionals’ clinical expertise and enabling them to observe new skills that can be transferred back to their work place.
Overall programme aims
The programme is aimed at those who wish to extend their experience within a leading critical care team and who wish to gain an understanding of the way this is practiced and organised within the NHS and how it integrates with patient care pathways.
The programme aims to include:
- Direct experience and exposure to relevant areas within critical care that suit the applicants’ needs
- Opportunities to get involved with short quality improvement projects during your visit
- Opportunities to attend our in-house teaching sessions for intensivists
- Opportunities to attend our clinical governance meetings
- The opportunity to share knowledge and expertise with doctors, consultants and other members of the critical care multi-disciplinary team
- The opportunity to develop and extend visitors’ work portfolios by gaining experience of observing one of the largest teaching hospitals in Central London, whilst gaining direct insight into the workings of the NHS
A Certificate of Attendance will be awarded to visitors upon the end of their programme.