Visiting Professional Programme – Renal Transplant Surgery
The Guy’s and St Thomas’ NHS Foundation Trust Renal Transplant Surgery Visiting Professional Programme is designed to provide international visiting professionals with the opportunity to experience and learn from our highly acclaimed renal service. The programme offers exclusive insight into our transplantation department and the innovative surgical techniques, such as laparoscopic surgery, full robotic transplants and 3D printing, which have led us to be the biggest transplant programme in Europe.
The programme is aimed at those who wish to extend their expertise in transplantation and who wish to gain an understanding of the surgical procedures and techniques used within the NHS.
The programme aims to include:
- Direct experience and exposure of ward rounds and clinics. There are a total of 14 transplantation clinics, such as our surgical assessment clinic, adolescent transplant clinic and transplant clinic, and visitors’ access will vary depending on the duration of their programme
- Involvement with our leading surgical research programme and clinic research meetings
- Opportunities to attend and contribute in our multidisciplinary team meetings (MDM), including the living donor, paediatric transplant, antibody incompatibility, vascular access, pancreas, transplant follow up and x-ray MDMs
- Regular internal teaching meetings and the possibility for visitors to lead undergraduate teaching sessions
- The chance to observe surgical procedures. Those that apply for a practical attachment programme may also have the chance to participate in renal transplantation operations. Please note that this is dependent on programme duration and previous experience
- Observing paediatric patient review meetings, which take place at both Evelina Children’s Hospital and Great Ormond Street Hospital
- Learning experiences of adult and paediatric complex cases
- Insight into the biggest transplant programme in Europe and our advanced surgical techniques
Individual weekly timetables will be created depending on each visiting professional’s requirements.
A Certificate of Attendance will be awarded to visitors upon the end of their programme.