Visiting Professional Programme – Pain Management
The Guy’s and St Thomas’ NHS Foundation Trust Pain Management visiting professionals programme is designed to provide applicants with the opportunity to experience first-hand our Pain Management Service, which specialises in treating adults (over 18 years) with chronic pain. The programme offers a unique chance to be fully integrated within a service that is at the forefront of clinical management, training and research.
The programme has been designed by our clinical leads to provide a unique development experience that enables visiting professionals to broaden their clinical expertise and learn new skills that can be transferred back to their work place.
- To increase engagement with important/ valued activities and not focussed on pain reduction. The courses are based on a mindfulness/ acceptance and commitment therapy approach. The core elements are outlined below:
- Increasing attention and awareness of familiar responses to pain and habitual activity patterns
- Clarifying what is personally important and setting small goals related this and acting upon them
- Practicing an open and flexible approach to doing meaningful activities even when faced with difficult thoughts, sensations, emotions etc.
- Re-committing to goals in the presence of difficulties and barriers
- Education about the nature of persistent pain
- Education about the long term use of pain medication and medication review with a specialist pain nurse
A Certificate of Attendance will be awarded to visitors upon the end of their programme.