Visiting Professional Programme – Sexual Health and HIV
The Guy’s and St Thomas’ NHS Foundation Trust Sexual Health Department is one the largest and most comprehensive sexual health services in the UK, combining six community clinics, an outpatient HIV ward and multidisciplinary care teams. The Visiting Professional Programme offers healthcare professionals from outside of the UK the unique opportunity to experience our renowned sexual health services and clinical expertise first hand.
Visitors are able to choose between our Sexual Health Programme which is undertaken in our clinics, the HIV Programme which focuses on our HIV services and outpatient ward, or our Sexual Health and HIV Programme which encompasses elements from all of our services and clinics.
Our expert clinicians will tailor the programme to match the level of experience that visitors have and the duration that visitors will be at the Trust for. General learning opportunities within the Sexual Health Programme include:
- Involvement with sexual health innovation projects and enterprises
- Optional training opportunity within our clinics which will provide visitors with additional qualifications.
- Create an individual project based on the programme’s learning experiences that will be presented to peers at the end of the programme
- Access to research trials
- Attend MDT meetings and participate in the weekly department training
- Understand how the sexual health service interlinks with other departments and services
Our HIV team are offering visiting professionals learning opportunities in a range of areas.
- Attend both outpatient and inpatient clinics
- Learn the latest developments in laboratory diagnostics
- Gain experience of all the licensed therapies that are available within the Harrison Wing,
- Develop knowledge on the range of drugs that are available for HIV patients through the NHS and see their results
- Access our volunteer clinical trials
- Gain insight into the management of running a HIV service
- Experience our range of sub-speciality services including tuberculosis, hepatitis B and C, antenatal, metabolic, neurocognitive and young adult services
Individual weekly timetables will be created depending on each visiting professional’s requirements.
A Certificate of Attendance will be awarded to visitors upon the end of their programme.