Visiting Professional Programme – Paediatric Infectious Diseases and Immunology
The Guy’s and St Thomas’ NHS Foundation Trust Paediatric Infectious Diseases & Immunology Visiting Professional Programme (VPP) is designed to provide international visiting professionals with the opportunity to experience first-hand our unique Paediatric Infectious Diseases & Immunology service, which specialises in treating children with acute and chronic severe infections, unusual infections, frequent infections, tropical infections, new or epidemic infections and those with immune system issues. The programme offers a unique chance to be fully integrated within a service that is at the forefront of clinical management, training and research.
The programme has been designed by our clinical leads to provide a unique development experience that enables visiting professionals to broaden their clinical expertise and learn new skills that can be transferred back to their work place. We are excited to provide the opportunity to observe and work alongside our Paediatric Infectious Diseases & Immunology faculty and to provide an opportunity for international professionals to gain insight into our Trust and the role that our staff play within the NHS.
The programme is aimed at those who wish to extend their clinical expertise in Paediatric Infectious Diseases & Immunology within Evelina London Children’s Hospital.
The aims of the programme include:
- Direct experience of and exposure to specialist clinics and ward rounds
- Exposure to a diverse range of specialist infectious diseases and immune conditions, which have dedicated outpatient clinics, including HIV, TB, congenital infections, 22q deletion syndrome, Kawasaki disease, recurrent febrile illnesses
- Opportunities to participate in internal clinical meetings, such as complex patient meetings, histopathology and radiology meetings
- Interaction with multidisciplinary team (MDT) members within the Paediatric Infectious Diseases & Immunology team, including specialist pharmacists and specialist nurses
- Experience of the NHS and working in one of the largest teaching hospitals and provider of children’s services in London
- Opportunities to participate in clinical training and academic events that are held jointly with the Paediatric Infectious Diseases departments based at St. George’s Hospital, St. Mary’s Hospital London and Great Ormond Street Hospital
- The opportunity to create networks and links for future learning and development
Individual weekly timetables will be created depending on each visiting professional’s requirements.