Visiting Professional Programme – HIV Pharmacy
The HIV pharmacy staff at Guy’s and St. Thomas’ NHS Foundation Trust (GSTT) provide a comprehensive service to patients living with HIV within the outpatient and inpatient setting. This involves working as part of a multi-disciplinary team to deliver quality care to our patients, including running pharmacy clinics as independent prescribers for patients starting and switching HIV treatment, addressing patients adherence concerns, managing complex drug-drug interactions and leading a virtual clinic to discuss complex HIV treatment.
The programme is aimed at those who wish to extend their expertise in HIV pharmacy and who wish to learn more about GSTT’s HIV services.
The training aims to enable visitors to:
- Experience our range of sub-speciality services including HIV / tuberculosis coinfection, HIV / hepatitis B and C coinfection, HIV antenatal, HIV metabolic, HIV neurocognitive, dietetic and young adult HIV services
- Learn about the management of opportunistic infections and HIV related malignancies
- Learn about the use of antiretroviral therapy and how to manage adverse treatment events
- Experience tertiary level HIV in-patient care including access to HIV in-patient ward rounds, inpatient MDT meetings and the post admission clinic
- Attend complex case meetings including the management of virological failure, drug resistance and ARV toxicities
- Access our clinical trials team to gain insight into HIV trials and clinical trials governance
A Certificate of Attendance will be awarded to visitors upon the end of their programme.