Equality Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) for Genomic Professionals
Date: 13 – 14 December 2021
Venue: Online course
Although there have been initiatives to address the equitable practice of genetic services disparities still exist. Differences in access to genetic services, recruitment of genetic professions and the experience of communities with medicine and genetics; all contribute to some of the disproportion in outcomes seen for different minoritised, protected and cultural groups in the UK.
This course is designed to highlight the fundamental approaches and limitations for professionals keen to ensure equality, diversity and inclusion in their genomic practice. Through the use of action learning sets participants will learn the basics of culturally competent service provision and the principles needed to develop outcome focussed change in their relevant professional groups. This course aims to support the development of practical and collaborative initiatives that work towards equity in genomic services and healthcare.
An interactive community will be available after registration so that you can interact with our course directors and your professional peer group throughout the course and beyond.
What can participants expect?
- Critique culturally competent approaches to clinical care and services in genetics
- Evaluate cultural competence and appropriateness of genomic institutions
- Develop outcome focused solutions that address EDI challenges in genetics
- Improved confidence in developing change management approaches to EDI in genetics
- Access to multimedia resources and literature about EDI in genetics
- Skills for the development of a practical and achievable EDI approaches
- Assignment to designated learning sets to support long term collaboration and commitment to identified EDI objectives