Visiting Professional Programme – Anaesthetics
The Guy’s and St Thomas’ NHS Foundation Trust Anaesthetic Visiting Professional Programme (VPP) is designed to provide international visiting professionals with the opportunity to experience and learn from a multi-disciplinary anaesthetic team working in a busy tertiary surgical and medical centre in London. All major surgical specialities are covered within the Trust excluding neurosurgery. Guy’s Hospital has a major thoracic and renal transplant centre along with head and neck surgery (involving complex airway management), urology (including robotics) and orthopaedics (including major spine correction surgery). St Thomas’ has a major cardiovascular centre (open and cardiac catheter cases), vascular (including hybrid theatre), major upper and lower surgery, obstetrics and gynaecology (7000 births a year), reconstructive plastic surgery and orthopaedic trauma. We also are developing our peri-operative medicine programme with an expanding pre-assessment service and manage an overnight intense recovery. We are expanding our collaborative research programme contributing to national studies.
Our Visiting Professional Programme is a unique development experience that allows visitors to observe our leading anaesthetic team in all its settings. The attachment will be tailored to the learning needs of the observer and can be form broadly generic to highly specific. We are dedicated to broadening international professionals’ clinical expertise and enabling them to observe new skills that can be transferred back to their work place.
Overall programme aims
The programme is aimed at those who wish to extend their experience within a leading anaesthetic team and who wish to gain an understanding of the way this is practiced and organised within the NHS and how it integrates with patient care pathways.
The programme aims to include:
- Direct experience and exposure to theatre operating lists timetabled to suit the applicants’ needs
- Opportunities to get involved with short quality improvement projects during your visit
- Opportunities to attend our in-house teaching sessions for anaesthetists
- Opportunities to attend our clinical governance meetings
- The opportunity to share knowledge and expertise with doctors, consultants and other anaesthetists
- The opportunity to develop and extend visitors’ work portfolios by gaining experience of observing one of the largest teaching hospitals in Central London, whilst gaining direct insight into the workings of the NHS